Google is inviting applications for the Travel and Conference Grants in Computer Science. They believe a diversity of attributes, experiences, and perspectives are needed to build tools that can change the world and that everyone deserves the opportunity to pursue a career in computer science and technology, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, disability or military service.
To help break down the barriers that prevent underrepresented groups in computer science from attending leading tech conferences, they’re excited to offer Google Travel and Conference Grants for selected conferences in Computer Science and related fields.
Grants are available in North America for all traditionally underrepresented groups in technology (including, but not limited to, African Americans, Hispanics, Native Americans, persons with disabilities, women and veterans), in Europe for women in technology, in India and in Africa for students who have their research papers accepted at top-tier conferences in Computer Science and related areas.
Worth of Award
- Free conference registration
- North America : A 500 USD reimbursement to retroactively be used toward airfare and accommodation costs (will be awarded after the conference)
- Europe : Up to 1,000 EUR towards travel and accommodation costs (will be paid after the conference)
- India : An award in the range of 1,000 – 3,000 USD that will cover conference registration, travel, accommodation and other related expenses.
- Africa : An award in the range of 1,000 – 3,000 USD that will cover conference registration, travel, accommodation and related expenses. Grant amount depends on cost for the international conference.
- Japan & South Korea : Up to 3,000 USD towards air tickets and lodging cost (will be paid after the conference). Grant amount depends on cost for the international conference.
To be eligible for a grant to attend an international conference, applicants must:
- Be a student enrolled with a recognized university in Africa who is in need of conference travel funds.
- Studying computer science, computer engineering, or a technical field related to the conference subject.
- Have a paper accepted for presentation (oral or poster) in the main conference program at a top-tier Computer Science conference. We prefer to support conferences in research areas where Google has a strong interest. Please visit research.google.com for a list of areas. The paper must be accepted for full publication and preferably full oral presentation. Workshop papers will not be approved for travel grants.
- Be the sole or joint first author of the accepted paper.
How to Apply
- Please submit the online form by the deadline for the conference that you wish to attend. They are currently accepting applications for conferences in 2018 only.
- Once approved for a travel grant, the funds will be paid to the applicant’s university and the student may claim expenses using regular university procedures.
Deadline: They review applications monthly, all year round, therefore you will get their reply four to six weeks from the date of the application.