Yale University in the USA invites applications from high school students for the Yale Young African Scholars Programme in 2021.
Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) is an intensive academic and enrichment program designed for African secondary school students planning to pursue tertiary education and who wish to make meaningful impact as young leaders on the continent.
YYAS is an official program of Yale University.
Worth of Award
- Participants will enhance their academic skills, receive university admission and financial aid application guidance, and join a network of young leaders from across Africa.
- Following the seven-day program, students will be paired with mentors who will help advise them throughout the university application process.
- There is no tuition cost for students to participate in YYAS.
- To keep everyone safe during the global pandemic, YYAS 2021 will be an online program.
- Prospective applicants must be current secondary school students in Africa who have one term to one full academic year left to complete after August 2021.
- In addition, applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of an African country.
- Selected participants will be self-starters who have an interest in pursuing post-secondary education, are in excellent academic standing, and demonstrate leadership potential.
In order to apply to YYAS, applicants MUST fulfil all of the following requirements:
- Age: You must be at least 14 years old by application deadline in order to be considered. Please note that a typical YYAS student is between the ages of 15 and 18.
- English: You must be able to participate in a rigorous academic curriculum conducted in English.
- Citizenship: You must be a citizen or permanent resident of an African country. YYAS will also accept applications from refugees living in an African country.
- School location: You must currently attend school in an African country.
- If you are currently in your final year or term of secondary school, have already graduated secondary school, or are a university student, then you are NOT eligible to apply.
How to Apply
- To apply, students must submit an online application that includes one essay and two short-answer prompts.
- Students must also upload an official school transcript or grade report as well as provide the contact information for one teacher who knows them well enough to fill out an online recommendation form.
- For more information, please email [email protected] or visit their website. You can also follow them on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter to stay up to date on all program news and announcements.
Deadline: All components must be submitted by February 16, 2021.