Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) is an intensive academic and enrichment program designed for African secondary school students planning to pursue tertiary education and who wish to make a meaningful impact as young leaders on the continent.
Worth of Award
- Participants will enhance their academic skills, receive guidance on university admissions and career path options, as well as join a network of young leaders from across Africa.
- Following the seven-day program, students will be paired with mentors who will advise them throughout the university application process.
- There is no tuition cost for students to participate in YYAS.
- The YYAS 2021 program will be held online.
In order to apply to YYAS, applicants MUST fulfill all of the following requirements:
- be at least 14 years old by the application deadline in order to be considered. Please note that a typical YYAS student is between the ages of 15 and 18.
- be able to participate in a rigorous academic curriculum conducted in English.
- currently attend school in an African country.
- be a citizen or permanent resident of an African country. YYAS will also accept applications from refugees living in an African country.
- be a current 11th-grade student (or the international equivalent).
- attend school in the Northern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by the latest May/June 2023. If you attend school in the Southern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by the earliest November/December 2022 and no later than November/December 2023.
- are currently in your final year or term of secondary school, have already graduated secondary school, or are a university student, then you are NOT eligible to apply.
- are a YYAS or YYGS alumnus/a, you may NOT apply for YYAS. However, if you are a YYAS alumnus/a, you can apply to YYGS if eligible.
How to Apply
All applications should be made online via the official website.
Deadline: You must submit an application no later than 11:59 pm EST on February 03, 2022. Late applications will not be accepted.