Yale University invites applications from high school students for the Yale Young African Scholars Programme in the USA in 2023.
Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) is an intensive academic and enrichment program designed for African secondary school students planning to pursue tertiary education and who wish to make a meaningful impact as young leaders on the continent.
Worth of Award
- Participants will enhance their academic skills, receive guidance on university admissions and career path options, and join a network of young leaders from across Africa.
- Following the program, students will be paired with mentors who will advise them throughout the university application process.
In order to apply to YYAS, applicants MUST fulfill all of the following requirements:
You must be
- at least 14 years old, and not older than 18 years old, by the application deadline (1st February 2023) in order to be considered. Please note that a typical YYAS student is between the ages of 15 and 18.
- able to participate in a rigorous academic curriculum conducted in English.
- a citizen or permanent resident of an African country. YYAS will also accept applications from refugees living in an African country.
- a current 11th grade student (or the international equivalent).
- currently attending school in an African country.
Note that if you
- attend school in the Northern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by the latest May/June 2024. If you attend school in the Southern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by the earliest November/December 2023 and no later than November/December 2024.
- are currently in your final year or term of secondary school, have already graduated secondary school, or are a university student, then you are NOT eligible to apply.
- are a YYAS or YYGS alumnus/a, you may NOT apply for YYAS. However, if you are a YYAS alumnus/a, you can apply to YYGS if eligible.
How to Apply
- Students will be asked to complete one 500-word essay and two short responses, and must provide information on their extracurricular activities and the school that they currently attend.
- A student transcript is an official document provided by the school and includes the applicant’s list of courses and grades received. Students must upload their official transcript or grade report(s) for each year of secondary school.
- If a student has changed secondary schools at any point, they must include records both from their previous AND their current school. Please refrain from uploading certificates or transcripts from primary school.
- The recommendation must be written and submitted by a teacher who knows the student well.
Deadline: The deadline to complete and submit the application is February 01, 2023 @ 11:59 pm EST.