The South African Network for Coastal and Oceanic (SANCOR) invites applications for its International Travel Student Award which was instituted to promote and develop capacity building in science in the marine and coastal environment. It is presented annually to a PhD student in recognition of their work accomplished thus far. The SANCOR Travel Grant offers up and coming young marine scientists the opportunity to attend an international conference and to showcase their research as well as gain experience in presenting a paper to an international audience. Furthermore it provides the ideal platform for the student to interact and network with national and international experts in the same research field.
- Should be younger than 35 years of age
- Must be South African citizens/permanent residence permit holders
- Must be registered for a PhD degree at a South African university at the time of the application.
The 2012 Calendar year (i.e. January-December 2012). No carry forwards will be granted and all funds must be expended in 2012 and proof of expenditure submitted to the NRF by the financial year end.
Value and the Rules of the Award
- This award will be granted annually with a maximum monetary value of R20 000 Up to two awards may be granted in one year depending on the availability of funds
- If more than one award is funded the total grant (R20 000) will be apportioned as the selection committee sees fit
- These grants can be used to cover costs related to travel (economic class air ticket), visa applications, insurance (travel and health), accommodation (limited to a three-star hotel), daily allowance (not more than USD 100 per day) and conference registration. NRF grants will be made according to the normal granting rules as per NRF Policy
- The release and payment of funds will be done according to standard NRF granting procedures
- The NRF reserves the right not to award travel grants to the maximum amount
- The recipients of these awards shall be required to submit a written report within two months after their return from travel and shall be required to give oral presentations at the subsequent SANCOR Forum Meeting after their return from travel
- A statement of upfront commitment and support from the student’s own institution (i.e. supervisor) to assist in meeting all costs should be provided.
The following assessment criteria shall apply:
- Academic merit of the applicant including (i.e. academic track record, publications, conference proceedings, prizes and awards etc)
- Projected completion of the degree within the NRF-recommended time period
- Equity and redress issues (i.e. race and gender of the applicant)
- Quality of the abstract
- Significance of the research in terms of addressing at least some of the components specific to SEAChange’s research scope
- The benefit that this award will have in strengthening the applicant’s current research activities
- The extent and benefit of planned “value-addition” activities beyond what is expected from the SANCOR investment (e.g. your institution providing you with funding to attend a course whilst abroad etc).
In general, the NRF’s funding decisions would be informed by the assessment committees’ accumulative gradings of each assessed application. However, if all else is equal, preference will be given to applicants that never had an opportunity to travel internationally to attend a conference and/or visit a research lab/institution.
How to apply:
E-mail and/or fax completed application form with the required documentation to Ms Motlalepule Ntshana, email: [email protected] or fax: 086 692 9321. Receipt of application will be acknowledged within one week. If you have not received acknowledgement of your application please enquire by calling Ms Motlalepule Ntshana at (012) 481 4130.
Completed application form (see relevant template)
- The full CV of the applicant completed on the NRF Online system (http://nrfonline.nrf.ac.za/)
- Academic records of the applicant
- Proof of registration at the university where registered
- The status of conference submission (e.g. whether accepted or not) must be included with the application.
Deadline: September 30, 2011.
For more information, and to apply, download the award brochure by clicking here (PDF).