The Nigerian Independence Day Education Fund invites applications for its 2011 scholarship for secondary school leavers of public schools in Nigeria to apply for a scholarship aimed at contributing to the development of Nigeria by promoting literacy in every part of the country, both rural and urban, and provide financial assistance to qualified underprivileged high school graduate.
Purpose of Awards
NIDEF Academic Scholarship was created to promote a vision of unity and educational development across Nigeria, honor scholastic achievement among underprivileged students, as well as encourage the pursuit of higher education at tertiary institutions.
Number and Worth of Awards
NIDEF will award annually, one 4-year scholarship to at least one underprivileged student residing in Nigeria (based on available funds). The scholarship will cover tuition (student fees) and boarding cost for the students. An annual renewal sub-application must be filed by the recipients for each year of the scholarship.
To be eligible for this award, students must be:
- A 2010 graduate of a public secondary school from any part of Nigeria
- Have completed both 2010 WAEC with (As and Bs) and 2011 JAMB exams with at least 200-300 GP
- Has a letter of admittance to Federal University in Nigeria
- Between the ages of 15 and 19 years old
- Print and fill out the application form
- On a one page 8 by 10 paper, write an essay with details of how your studies and involvement in community activities have prepared you for your career aspiration
- Provide copies of your JSSCE result and report cards from SS1-3
- Colored passport picture
- Letter of recommendation from high school principal
- Scan and email all required information to [email protected]
Once received, all application will be reviewed for completeness. Names of applicants with complete material will be gathered and a recipient will be selected based on a lottery system. Recipients will be notified by email and phone call of their scholarships
Deadline: All eligible candidates who want to apply must submit their complete packet of required nomination materials by September 15, 2011.
For more information, and to download the application form, visit their website by clicking here.