2012 – 2013 VLIR-UOS scholarships for Africans, Asians and Latin-Americans to follow a training or master programme at a Dutch speaking university or university college in Belgium is now open. The eligible training or master programmes are taught in English. They are designed for people in positions of responsibility in civil society.
The master programmes, lasting one or two academic years, focus on specific problems of developing countries. These are designed to enable graduates to share and apply acquired knowledge in the home institution and country.
In the shorter training programmes, lasting one to four months, the focus is on transferring skills rather than knowledge, thus creating opportunities for cooperation and networking.
Worth of Awards
The scholarships cover all related expenses including return air ticket, tuition fees and maintenance, insurance, conference allowance, as well as allowance for dependants who go with.
- You are a resident AND national of one of the following African countries: Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, DR Congo, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Morocco, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe. Please note that candidates must reside in one of these countries at the moment of application. Citizens and residents of Asia and Latin America should check programme website for details
- You are not older than 40 years if you apply for a scholarship to follow a master programme. Or you are not older than 45 years if you apply for a scholarship to follow a training programme on January 1, 2012.
- You have the required English proficiency. See their website for details.
- Professional experience and employment perspectives are not required for a master programme, but they can be a competitive advantage for selection, depending on the programme. Present employment or reintegration perspectives are required for a training programme. The candidate must be currently employed or have a written (future) employer’s guarantee of (re)integration in an employment where the acquired knowledge and skills will be immediately applicable.
- Earlier applications and scholarships: You are not eligible if you have received a master scholarship funded by the Belgian government before; and you cannot apply for more than one VLIR-UOS scholarship a year. You are only admissible for a training programme scholarship if you have not received a VLIR-UOS scholarship for a training programme before.
- When you are an applicant from a university engaged in a VLIR-IUC partnership, it is required that the Flemish or local IUC coordinator declares that you are not linked to an IUC funded department.
- Professional experience
- Present employment/reintegration perspectives
- Previous scholarships received
- Female applicants get preference
- 50% of scholarships are awarded to applicants from Sub Saharan Africa
- Candidates from a disadvantaged social background get preference
- For the academic admission criteria please check the requirements of the training or master programmes.
How to Apply
You can apply for a scholarship by following these four steps:
- Go to the information page of the training or master programme of your interest
- Look for the inscription link on the programme website and apply via the application form of the Flemish host university or university college
- Receive a return e-mail from the Flemish host university or university college
- Send a printout of your application file along with all required documents (diploma transcripts, motivation, etc to the International Office of the host university or university college (not to VLIR-UOS!). You will find the information on the website of the programme.
Then you have correctly applied and can your application be considered.
Application Deadlines: Masters programmes: February 1, 2012; training programme: check the programme websites
For more information, visit the scholarship website by clicking here.
To check out eligible training and Masters programme of your choice, and to apply, click here.